Newborn Cloth

We made the decision before Charlotte was born to use cloth diapers. I spent countless hours researching all the hundreds of options for diapers. Keeping in mind that we wanted several children and our diapers would be an investment I still tried to keep the cost to a minimum because let me tell you diapers can get expensive! Our decision was to go with mainly prefolds & covers with a few all in ones (AIO) mixed in. This was because prefolds will last a very long time, are inexpensive and have the added use as burp cloths and even rags later on. The only other thing I wanted was to try stick to natural fibers and stay away from microfiber. So our newborn stashed consisted of:

24 GMD newborn prefolds - These are consistently given high marks from reviewers on numerous different sites. I really loved the thickness and durability of these. They have been washed and dryed a ton of times already and they still look brand new!

12 GMD preemie prefolds - I actually purchased these to be used as inserts but we ended up using them as diapers for the first few weeks.

2 XS Thirsties Covers - Again these are well loved by reviewers especially for newborns. Turns out these are one of my favorites as well. I loved that they were on the thinner side and didn't seem to restrict Charlotte's movements.

2 Newborn Litewrap Covers - These are supposed to be a good long lasting cover and since they run a little on the large size would last for quite a while. I actually hated these and we think Charlotte did too. She cried every time we put them on her. It was a happy day in our house when she outgrew them. I also found the velcro tabs to never stay hooked to the laundry tabs while being washed which was a real pain.

1 Newborn Mommy's Touch Cover - I just fell in love with the look of these and wanted to try a snap cover. Absolutely the best cover we owned! In fact I just ordered 3 more in the infant to toddler size and had a hard time not ordering more. It fit great, felt great and looked absolutely adorable.

1 Newborn Bummis Super Whisper Wrap - Bummis in general is a well loved diapering brand and this cover is no exception. I however, found this cover to be just ok. It was never the first grabbed out of the drawer but it was definitely used before the litewraps.

Bumgenius XS AIO - I bought a few of these from the well loved bin at Cottonbabies. Chad had liked their ease of use and admittedly it sounded very appealing to me as well for being out and about. Best decision ever! I hated the idea that it was microfiber on the inside but in the end it worked very well for us. These diapers also fit long before any of the other diapers besides the preemie prefolds.

Wool Longies - I purchased the most adorable wool longies from another mommy to use as an overnight option. Oh my how I loved the soft squishy baby butt in the wool.

Despite all of my planning, researching and determination to use only natural fibers and the most inexpensive system my child had other plans. I have a very heavy wetter that is also extremely sensitive to moisture. Therefore, having put away all of our newborn stash and purchasing our baby stash we have decided to move to all microfiber since it wicks the moisture from Charlotte's sensitive behind.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP